We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Native from the south-east of United States, the Florida palm or Serenoa repens is a slow growing plant,
characterized by fan-shaped leaves. It grows on dunes, in pine forests, and on dirt mounds of the southeastern coast of the United States.
This species of palm grows (as its name suggests), in Florida where its fruits abound but also, in Alabama, in Georgia and in the Mississippi.
His fruits whose shape and size are close to that of an olive, are colored deep purple : They were a staple food for Indians for 12,000 years before Europeans arrived on their land.
Florida palm: for the record
This dwarf palm, also called "cabbage palm", "saw palm" or "sabal", prefers sandy soils and dry.
Small in size, it does not exceed 3 meters high at full growth and its fruits (or berries) are usually picked by hand.
Indeed, despite the favorable climate, the pickers of its fruits wear leather gloves and long-sleeved clothing to protect themselves from the sharp thorns bordering the stems of the leaves.
Even more, the presence of large wasp nests in the middle of these palm trees, make the picking even more risky.
After harvest, the fruits of the Florida palm are dried then exported mainly in Europe but also on the American continent where they are part of the composition of various products.
However, these are the saw palmetto berries who, thanks to their virtues, have all their interest in herbal medicine.
What are they ? How do they act on the human body? What are their benefits for health ? How to use it to get the best therapeutic benefit ?
Today, the World Health Organization and the European Commission recognize the use of the Florida palm tree to treat urinary disorders arising fromhypertrophy benign of the prostate mild to moderate (phases I and II).
Here's what you need to know ...
Properties of the Florida palm
Belonging to the family of aracaceae (Araceae), the botanical name for the Florida palm is "Serenoa repens".
In the past, Native Americans who populated the southeastern United States harvested the fruits of sabal to feed themselves but also to treat some:
– urinary system disorders at the men,
– breast disorders at the women,
– digestive ailments
- and, the dysentery.
To this are added the aphrodisiac properties, antiseptic, expectorant assigned to it.
When the European settlers arrived, they had incorporated them into their food and that of their cattle. They learned the same how the Indians used it.
Only over time did they find the saw palmetto berries to taste sickeningly like soap, and decided to keep them only for medicinal purposes.
Later, at the start of the 20th century the American doctors had recourse to berries saw palmetto to treat clinical manifestations related tobenign hypertrophy of the prostate, to disorders of libido, irritations of the mucous membranes, enlargement of the prostate andinfection roads urinary.
This plant was also on the list of official drugs in the United States until 1950 when they were no longer of medical interest.
In contrast, the Florida palm remained popular and widely used in Europe and, during the 1960s, the French doctors invented the type of lipophilic extract that is well known today.
Moreover, in Italy, Austria and Germany, this Florida palm extract is very popular as part of the treatment benign hypertrophy of the prostate.
It was not until the 1990s that palm kale, associated with African plum, pumpkin seeds and nettle re-entered the American store circuit of natural products.
Florida palm tree: virtues and health benefits
The therapeutic properties saw palmetto are various.
According to research conducted by scientists, the Florida palm is a:
– sedative lightweight. It is used in cases of disorders of the sleep, of bronchitis and crises of cough.
– antiandrogen device that promotes the treatment of conditions related to benign prostatic hyperplasia.
From there, the palm saw is indicated for relieve :
- the difficulty urinating, due to a malfunction of the bladder, or an obstacle on the excretory duct.
This change in the bladder is also called dysuria.
- the nocturnal voiding disorders associated with overactive bladder. This urge to urinate is also called pollakiuria.
- theadenoma prostate.
A priori, the Florida palm:
- would inhibit the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, that is to say, the substance which would affect the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- would have thanks to its effect anti-inflammatory, a positive impact on the estrogen / testosterone hormonal balance,
- would favor by apoptosis, the natural death of prostate cells by slowing down its hypertrophy.
Uses, dosages, instructions for use
In the case of treatments, the Florida palm tree exists in various forms including: fruit extracts, the standardized extracts, and the mother tincture.
To get the best therapeutic benefit, the dosage is the following :
- in Dyeing : 1 or 2 ml to be taken 3 times a day is recommended;
- in excerpts (specific extract, standardized to 80 or 90% fatty acids and sterols (the most effective mixture for the symptoms of BPH), the dosage is 160 mg, twice a day
- as to capsules, it is best to follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Good to know about the Florida palm tree
Sabal can cause:
- light intestinal disorders (diarrhea or constipation)
- of itching
- of headache
- of the'arterial hypertension.
Contrary to what you might think, it does not affect your libido.
The effects of saw palmetto are not systematic from the first intake. There needs to be regular monitoring, treatment of 1 or even 2 months before you start to feel the benefits.
Although Florida palm has been shown to be effective in treating symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia, it is best to have it.advice from your doctor treating and not opting for a self-medication.
> Taking extracts of the Florida palm:
- is strictly not recommended during a hormone therapy and even less, to pregnant women.
- must be done with precaution for subjects with a treatment antiplatelet and anticoagulant.
In all cases, it is necessary to comply with a medical advice.