We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Shrub speedwell offers spectacular flowering and beautiful foliage.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Hebe
Family : Scrofulariaceae
Type : Shrub
Height : 30 to 150 cm
Exposure : Sunny and partial shade
Ground : Ordinary
Foliage : Persistent
Flowering : Spring, summer
Maintenance, from planting to pruning, should help promote the emergence of these wonderful flower spikes.
Planting shrub speedwell
Prefer a planting of shrubby speedwell in the fall to promote rooting before winter and better recovery the following spring.
Planting outside the fall period is quite possible for subjects purchased in pots or containers.
- When planting, avoid periods of freezing winter and hot summer.
- Water regularly if you are planting in the spring or early summer.
Always choose a sunny and sheltered place because the shrubby speedwell fears strong frosts.
The Shrubby Speedwell tolerates partial shade.
=> Follow our planting tips.
Shrub speedwell cutting:
The fastest and easiest technique to propagate your Shrubby Speedwell is cuttings.
- The cuttings of the shrubby speedwell take place at the end of summer.
- Take the cuttings from semi-hardened stems, that is, shoots of the year that have not yet fully hardened.
- Remove the bottom leaves to keep only one or two floors in mind.
- Dip the base in the cutting hormone powder.
- Place your cuttings in a special cutting soil, in the light but without direct sunlight.
- Keep the substrate moist and protect the cuttings in winter by protecting them from frost.
Maintenance of shrub speedwell
Shrub speedwell thrives most in mild climates, especially in winter. It is easy to maintain, especially when properly installed.
Remove faded flowers by snipping the stem below the inflorescence as you go. This will stimulate the appearance of new flowers.
If necessary, you can also cut back at the very beginning of spring.
In severe frost, it is possible that your Shrubby Speedwell is affected and part of the foliage turns brown and does not grow back and then dies.
In that case, delete all parts which have frozen in order to stimulate the emergence of new growth.
In winter, a mulching on the ground helps protect the roots from frost.
To know about the shrubby speedwell
Shrubby Veronique offers a very interesting flowering from spring to autumn.
The very pretty pink-purple, blue or white spikes depending on the species remain in place and will continue to adorn the beautiful dark green leaves for much of the winter.
Its effect bushy and his character decorative are particularly suitable for your borders, your flower beds but also your pots and tubs for your terrace.
Shrubby Speedwell is resistant to cold and frost down to about -10 °. But it is more fragile the first years after planting.
Varieties of shrubby speedwells:
- Andersonii: The most common variety, it has very beautiful spikes of purple flowers.
- Vernicosa: It is a variety with white flowers and smaller leaves.
- Hebe pinguifolia: Another variety with white flowers, it flowers in early summer.
By associating the shrubby speedwell with a small hedge of boxwood, you create a persistent mass of very beautiful appearance.