We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Allium is a beautiful flower, well known for its highly decorative flower stems.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Allium giganteum
Family : Liliaceae
Type : Perennial
Height : 20 to 100 cm
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Ordinary
Flowering : May to July
Easy to grow, it is perfect in beds but also in pots or planters to adorn terraces and balconies.
Giant garlic plantation
Giant garlic crashes in autumn about 10/12 cm deep in light soil.
- Giant garlic likes sunny situations
- The land should be light and well drained, even poor
A good benchmark to know the planting depth is to multiply by 3 the size of the bulb. If it is 5 cm high you will therefore plant it 15 cm deep.
- Proceed in groups of 10 to 15 bulbs to create beautiful spots of color.
- Space each bulb approximately 20 cm
- Find our advice planting bulbs
- Know how to plant bulbs in flooded or clay soil
Caring for giant garlic
The maintenance of giant garlic is very simple as the care to be given to this bulbous perennial is limited.
In soil or in pot, you will enjoy its beautiful flowering without having to worry about it too much.
- Cut the wilted flowers as you go by cutting the stem as close to the ground as possible.
- Only cut the foliage when it has turned yellow because that is when it is building up its reserves for the next flowering.
- No addition of fertilizer is necessary.
To note that giant garlic leaves tend to wilt before or during flowering large umbels and that it is therefore interesting to planting perennials under the foot to cover the wilted leaves and leave only the stem protruding.
For the culture ofgiant garlic in jar, remember to water regularly as the water needs are greater due to the rapid drying out of the soil in pots.
To know about giant garlic
Giant garlic is a perennial that grows relatively easily and which will give very pretty purplish blue flowers that can reach 20 to 30 cm in diameter.
Native to Europe and Asia, ornamental garlic belongs to the same genera as species ofedible garlic but also that theonion, theshallot, the chive and from the same family as the leek
The different species all have superb flowers gathered in balls whose size and color varies by variety.
In clumps or borders but also along a wall or isolated tuft, the decorative effect of this plant is guaranteed!
- Theallium giganteum, thanks to its good height, is perfectly suited to bedding beds
We also use it in a bouquet because, the foliage like the flowers, form magnificent bouquets.
Smart tip about giant garlic
For the tallest species, you can stake the stem to prevent him from lying down in the wind. For this, the use of a rod of bamboo is perfectly suited and that does not break the aestheticism.